Monday 30 July 2012

Mushroom Pate






Anecdote

I met Neha in our children's school. Weird but somehow whenever I saw her, I knew that one day we would know each other more than just be sharing road space on St. Cyril Road. My astrological prowess was proved accurate. Many dinners, lunches and one potluck followed.


In that potluck, she served us mushroom pate on Melba toast. The pate looked murky and grey. One would think it looked rather helpless sitting there on tiny toasts as though it was saying “I am sorry but I forgot my blush-on today”. The tray was going around the room. I could see some reservation and intrigue, as the little platters got picked up. And quickly, oh so quickly, it was my turn. The little antipasto went right into my mouth without further ado.

And lo behold! It was pure delish!

Neha finally gave me the recipe on a tissue at potpourri (am told Lemon Grass has taken that place over, such a pity! They made the best duck bruschettas) and this is how it is done.

Stuff that you must have:

Mushroom
Black pepper powder
Grated mozzarella
Garlic cloves, peeled
Olive oil
Wok and spatula
Salt

What to do:

Warm 2 table spoons of Olive Oil in a wok. Add the garlic pods. Within less than a minute add the chopped mushrooms, 2 packets. Add salt to taste and generous (2 table spoons) amount of black pepper powder. Stir fry on a medium flame till the mushroom cooks. This would be for about 4-5 minutes. Add the grated cheese and take the wok off the flame. Cool the mushroom till it is at room temperature. Taste for salt and pepper. At this point I usually throw in about one tea spoon of pepper powder. Once cool, blend the mushroom till it is pasty like a pate. Good to serve 10 adults.

How to serve:

Option 1: Spread it on Melba toasts
Option 2: Spread it on crackers. Dress it up with half an olive.
Option 3: Serve in a bowl with a sprig of fresh parsley on top with some pita bread in case you are doing Lebanese food.
Option 4: Do your own thing. Its fun.  

Trivia:

Pâté (pronounced pah-TAY) is French for "pie." Gerad Depardieu, the veteran French star once confessed that his bizarre friendship with the former Cuban leader Fidel Castro was based on their bonding over their shared love of pate. 







No comments:

Post a Comment